Shape My City alumni interview: Hannah


NAME: Hannah 

ABOUT SHAPE MY CITY 

1) What did you enjoy most about the Shape My City Programme?
I enjoyed being able to learn about a variety of disciplines in the architecture industry and what each of them involved. It was also encouraging to interact with other students from different parts of Bristol which had similar interests as me.

2) What was the most beneficial element of taking part in the Shape My City programme?
The most beneficial element was to hear directly from those who have taken different routes and have achieved the role which they wanted, it was encouraging to hear that if you do a university course, you do not need to stay with that subject for life.

3) Would you recommend the Shape My City Programme to other 15-18 years olds? Why? 
I would highly recommend this programme, it opened up many opportunities to know different people and businesses within the industry, it helped me to decide whether this was a subject I would like to pursue.


ABOUT YOU 

4) What are you doing currently (eg. work, study, travel)?
I am currently studying at the University of the West of England

5) What to you hope to go on to do in the future?
I hope to be an architect in the future

6) What motivates/inspires you to pursue a career in architecture/design/placemaking?
There are many problems currently, not just with housing but with communities as a whole, people feel isolated, they feel as though the places designed for them to live in are not really beneficial or catered to their needs. My motivations springs from the opportunities available to improve life for people, if I can be equipped to improve someone’s quality of life through the built environment, why not.




ABOUT BRISTOL

7) What do you like most about Bristol as a city?
I like how Bristol is so open and inviting to all types of people with different backgrounds, culture, lifestyle and ages. One thing which I have particularly like is how there are spaces within the centre of the city which make you feel as though you are in the countryside, the balance between buildings and green space is very carefully thought out and something which I highly appreciate, it takes me away from the hustle of everyday life and relaxes me.


8) What is your favourite building/place in Bristol and why?
My favourite place in Bristol is Clifton village, I love Georgian and Victorian architecture and this part of Bristol is full of this style. The beauty and elegance of the terraces and mansions cannot be missed, this coupled with the display of generous greenery make it “The handsomest suburb of Europe” (John Betjeman).

9) What is your worst building / place in Bristol? (why?)
The worst place in Bristol in my opinion would be Stokes Croft, there are many derelict buildings situated in this area, I believe these spaces have so much potential to be used for the benefit of the community and add even more character to the streets.

10) If you were Mayor of Bristol, how would you improve the city?
I would improve the city first by tackling homelessness, which is on the rise, everyone receives a quality of life and the fact is that there are around 6000 empty houses (for various reasons) in Bristol, which is shocking, something can be done. Bristol’s house prices have risen drastically in the last 5 years which is making buying a house almost impossible for the average buyer so next would be to somehow stop the rising house prices, which is not impossible. Another improvement would be to improve the traffic flow, some traffic lights make problems rather than solving them, improving the small things can impact much on the city as a whole; a cleverly designed system can go far.



Comments